How can we help?
SNMP MIB Monitoring in WatchMyDC®
WatchMyDC® supports custom SNMP MIB Monitoring for endpoints through OID. This document demonstrates the process of adding an SNMP OID from a MIB for observability and alerting.
Dependency and Limitations
- The WatchMyDC® Collector is imported and registered to the WatchMyDC® Dashboard
- The WatchMyDC® MIB repository contains MIBs’ from most of the manufacturers. However, in the case of a MIB is not present in the list, please contact WatchMyDC® support with the vendor & MIB name. (WatchMyDC® is working to import their own MIBs’ soon.)
- ‘Line Chart’ and ‘Text/Num‘ card support a single OID only.
- It takes 4-5 minutes to display the value or graph after adding the custom metric.
- WatchMyDC® does not support custom metrics for WMI nodes.
Process for SNMP MIB Monitoring
Adding a Custom Metric of a Physical Node
- Select your node.
- Then, click ‘Edit‘ from the top right corner, then click on ‘Add‘. A secondary drawer should appear.
- Then, add a card of your choice (‘Pie Chart‘, ‘Bar Chart‘, ‘Line Chart‘ of ‘Text/Num‘) from the ‘Custom Graphs’. The card property will append on the list.
- Then, put a ‘Title‘ of you need
- Then, click on the ‘Browse Metrics‘ radio button followed by the ‘Add Custom Metric‘. A MIB Browser should open.
- Thereafter, browse or type to search for your desired vendor name in ‘Vendor‘ field
- Then, browse or type to search for your desired MIB name in ‘MIB File‘ field
- Then, browse or type to search for your desired OID name in ‘Browser‘ > ‘search‘ area
- Thereafter, select one or multiple OIDs by clicking the checkbox field on right. Selected OIDs will appear on the ‘Selected OIDs‘ window.
- Then, click ‘Save‘ to exit the MIB Browser.
- Select one OID name from the first dropdown. Please note – ‘Line Chart’ and ‘Text/Num‘ card supports a single OID.
- Then, click ‘Add Metric’ to add multiple OIDs for ‘Pie Chart’ or ‘Bar Chart‘ cards.
- Thereafter, click the icon on the top-right corner of the card to save. This will close the secondary drawer.
- Finally, move the newly created card to your desired position in the primary device drawer. Click ‘Save‘.
Adding a Custom Metric of a Cloud Service, such as AWS Service
- Select your service.
- Then, click on the ‘Edit‘ from the top right corner, then click ‘Add‘. Secondary drawer will populate.
- Then, add a card of your choice (‘Pie Chart‘, ‘Bar Chart‘, ‘Line Chart‘ of ‘Text/Num‘) from ‘Custom Graphs’. Selected card property will amend on the list.
- On next, set a ‘Title‘ as needed.
- Then, select ‘Dimension‘ as Instance ID.
- In the ‘Metric Name‘ field, select the required metric from the dropdown menu, as provided by the cloud provider.
- The, click the ‘Browse Metrics‘ radio button followed by ‘Add Custom Metric‘. A MIB Browser will open.
- Then, click the icon on the top-right corner of the card to save. This will close the secondary drawer.
- Finally, move the newly created card to your desired position in the primary device drawer. Click on the ‘Save‘ button.
Create an Alert Definition based on the Custom Metric
- Click on the ‘Action Center‘
- Inside the ‘Select Device‘ area select the ‘Category‘ of your node (ex: ‘Networks’, ‘Cloud’) and select the node from the dropdown list.
- Inside the ‘Select Metric‘ area type and search the custom metric you added in the earlier section.
- Inside the ‘Select Conditions‘ area set the alert condition
- Inside the ‘Select Alert & Severity‘ area set the alert severity as you need and select the notification method (ex: ‘Slack‘).
- Click on the save ‘Save‘
- The alert definition should appear in the list and activates immediately.
You can engage WatchMyDC® automation based on the custom OID or custom metric observability threshold.